Department of Statistics
California State University,
Stat 6011: Statistical Modeling for Management and Economics
- This Saturday we will discuss Regression and then have class
- Everyone is expected to prepare their own paper on the topic that they
have chosen. The presentation is a group project but the paper is NOT.
Everyone is expected to prepare their own paper.
- Final Review.
- Homework 9 has been posted.
- Homework Solutions have been posted on Blackboard so all homework
- This week we will spend some time in groups organizing and preparing for
the class presentations for the last week of classes.
- Homework 8 has been posted.
- The Class Project:
- Homework 7 has been posted.
- The Class Project has been assigned as part of Homework 7. The
Class presentation will be Week 9 and the paper will be due Week 10.
- The grading of the midterm is not complete, it will be returned next
week, not tonight. Sorry about the delay.
- Midterm this Saturday, 10 to noon, with a 1 hour lecture and review
before the test.
- Some solutions for the even problems assigned for homework,
- Homework 6 has been posted.
- In-class Midterm Computer Problems: The Manufacturing Database from the book.
- Today we will go over examples of models for Discrete and Continuous
random variable. Binomial, Hypergeometric, Poisson, Uniform, Normal
- Homework 5 has been posted.
- The Manufacturing Database from the book.
- Useful applets from RVLS demonstrating the Sampling Distribution of the
- Next week we will have a midterm in class during the last 2 hours of the
- Today we will go over the Rule of Probability.
- How can we simulate flipping a fair coin?
- How can we simulate the occurrence of a disease in a city?
- Homework 4 has been posted.
- Homework 1 and 2 Solutions will really be posted after class on
Saturday. (Sorry not done yet.)
- What is the probability of H when you flip a fair coin?
- What is the probability of someone getting into an accident if they
drive to Lake Tahoe this afternoon?
- What is the probability of someone getting into and accident on their
way to Tahoe is they drive a fast car? What if they drive a mini-van?
- Homework 3 has been posted.
- Today in the computer lab we will go over handout1 and handout2.
- Homework 1 Solution will be posted after class on Saturday.
- What is the difference between the mean, median and mode?
- What is the standard deviation used for?
- What does it mean for a distribution to be skewed?
- How to compute the correlation coefficient?
- Homework 2 has been posted.
- Homework Solutions will be posted on
Blackboard. For help
with Blackboard please see the Bb help website csuhbb.csuhayward.edu.
- Does the type of vehicle relate to traffic deaths? See Links above
- How are surveys conducted? See Links above.
- How are statistical methods used to optimize inventory to maximize
profits? See Links above for the ProfitLogic website.
- Homework 1 has been posted.
- The book chosen for this class is
Business Statistics for Contemporary Decision Making, 4th Edition, by
Ken Black, Wiley 2004. I think this is going to be a
good book for the class. In speaking with some of my friends in the
Business Department this book comes highly recommended. Please feel free
to let me know what you think of the book as we go thought the course.
with materials for instructors.